Maintaining an adequate TDS level in the aquarium is important for keeping your fish healthy. Here’s are some ways to lower TDS in aquarium water:
Regular Water Changes
TDS builds up over time. Thus, it is important to change the water in your aquarium as necessary. The time between water changes depends on how fast the TDS level increases over time. To monitor this, you can measure the TDS level regularly with a TDS meter.
Last update on 2022-01-17 / Affiliate links / As an Amazon Associate this website may earn from qualifying purchases.
Try not to overfeed your fish. Overfeeding leads to a build-up of organic and inorganic material in the water. This increases the TDS level. Feed your fish just enough to satisfy them without having leftovers floating around or sinking to the bottom of the tank.
In addition to regular water changes, cleaning the glass and other areas of the aquarium helps maintain proper TDS levels. A dirty tank is never healthy for your fish.
- How to Lower TDS in an Aquarium – Video – YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_oKNOKt_xI
- How do I lower the hardness in my fish tank? – Basic Water Chemistry Part 1: Water Hardness – LiveAquaria – https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/60/?aid=60
- Lowering TDS in freshwater aquarium – Aquarium Advice – http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/lowering-tds-in-freshwater-aquarium-294222.html
- How do I lower my TDS? – The Planted Tank Forum – https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/84528-how-do-i-lower-my-tds.html
- How do I lower TDS in my shrimp tank? – Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/shrimptank/comments/4fzheo/how_do_i_lower_tds_in_my_shrimp_tank/
- Aquarium Supplies: List of Equipment & Accessories for Freshwater Fish Tanks – Fish Tank Basics