Adult guppies can survive without food for up to 2 weeks. Guppy fry can survive for about 3 days without food. However, there are few things to consider before leaving your tank for such a long time.
Guppies can live without food for weeks, so long as the water conditions are right. If you have guppy fry, you need to feed them at least once a day. So it’s not a good idea to leave fry unattended.
Before You Leave
- A few days before leaving do filter maintenance.
- One day before you leave, do a water change (50-70%).
- Put aquarium lights on a timer (your guppies need to sleep and won’t do so with constant light)
- Get rid of decaying plant matter or dying fish.
Things You’ll Need
- API Quick Start – Use this to add nitrifying bacteria to help keep the colony stable after you perform the huge water change.
- Timer for lights – if you can’t buy a timer then leave the lights off completely and allow for natural light to reach the tank. Your plants need light.
- Automatic Feeder – For guppy fry, automatic feeders are a great option to feed them while you are away.
Last update on 2022-05-27 / Affiliate links / As an Amazon Associate this website may earn from qualifying purchases.
Things To Note
- In some tanks, where microfauna and algae are present, guppy fry can survive for much longer.
- Set the automatic timer to feed the fry once a day.
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Feeding? | Guppy – Fishlore – https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/how-long-can-guppies-go-without-feeding.414612/