No. Guppies cannot breed with Swordtails. This is because guppies and swordtails belong to a different genus of fish. The guppy fish belong to the Poecilia genus while swordtails belong to the Xiphophorus genus.
However, members of the Poecilia genus can crossbreed with each other and members of the Xiphophorus family can crossbreed with each other.
Thus a guppy can crossbreed with a molly and a swordtail can crossbreed with a platy. This is because they belong to the same genus or family of fish.
To further illustrate, the following fish can crossbreed with guppies:
- Guppies are Poecilia reticulata
- Endlers are Poecilia wingei
- Mollies are Poecilia sphenops
And, the following fish can crossbreed with swordtails:
- Platies are Xiphophorus maculatus
- Swordtails are Xiphophorus helleri
Table of Contents
Can Guppies Crossbreed?
Guppies can crossbreed within their genus: Poecilia. Several fish species make up the Poecilia genus. However, the most common are guppies, endlers, and mollies.
- What Will Happen If My Male Swordtail Is Breeding With My Female Guppy – My Aquarium Club – https://www.myaquariumclub.com/what-will-happen-if-my-male-swordtail-is-breeding-with-my-female-guppy-368782.html
- Molly Fish Cross Breed with Guppy Fish? – Molly Fish – https://www.molly-fish.com/cross-breed-guppy
- Breeding Sword-Molly hybrid – Fish Lore – https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/breeding-sword-molly-hybrid.228030/
- Guppy/Swordtail Hybrids – The Planted Tank – https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/904777-guppy-swordtail-hybrids.html
- Richard van der Laan; William N. Eschmeyer & Ronald Fricke (2014). “Family-group names of Recent fishes”. Zootaxa. 3882 (2): 001–230.
- Types of Guppies – A Guide
- Best place to buy fish online – Everything you need to know